Can we talk about this motherhood thing? Just for a minute? I mean, FOR REAL. I.AM.SO.TIRED. Every single day I have these grandiose plans of waking up and doing something amazing, like working out before 7 AM, getting my life together and organized or spending more time on my blog… and then I just can’t seem to peel my body outta bed. Is it motherhood or age? Something I am often asking myself.
This brings me to the thought of REST. What is true rest? Obviously sleep is rest, but sometimes it’s just not enough. Life throws so many curve balls our way and even jus the mundane, day to day stuff is exhausting and stressful. I’m an eight hour a night kinda girl, but even that isn’t enough sometimes. Lately I’ve been trying to do more things that help me rest, not just my body but my mind. I find more times then not it’s my mind that needs rest, and if there’s a million things running through my mind then my sleep is interrupted and I really feel like my whole world is caving in. Who’s with me?! So here are a few things lately the I’ve ben trying out to give me more real rest:
- Meditating and/or praying– this is often viewed as a practice in yoga, but the bible actually talks about meditating but it’s not the same. The bible suggests us to meditate on purposeful thinking; God’s qualities, creation and His Word Psalm 143:5. The definition of meditating is to think deeply and/or carefully about something. I find it extremely peaceful to meditate on God’s word and thoughts of His wondrous creation, and Psalms is especially comforting to read before bed. I believe there are multiple benefits in meditating and prayer, whether it’s your religion or simply just being in a positive thought.
- Going for a walk ALONE– How many mom’s out there need some alone time?! If you can squeeze in a walk around your neighborhood alone, DO IT! Walking is one of the best exercises but it’s also so relaxing. Sometimes I just need a little stroll around the neighborhood to clear my head or just pause and take a little break from all of the chaos in the house. It may not be a long walk but a few minutes of mom rest can make you feel like a new person (kinda 😉 )
- Going to a movie alone– Ok, I use to think I would feel like a complete loser going to the movies alone, but lets just really think about this….no kids, no spouses, and NO NOISE… except for the movie! Movies give our minds a break from our hectic schedules and needy children, and even though our minds are still at work figuring out how the movie will end, it’s a whole lot more relaxing then dealing with deadlines, diapers and “whats for dinner!?”
- Yoga– Ok, I am NOT getting all hippie on you, I just really like some types of yoga! I don’t participate in the spiritual side of yoga because for me it doesn’t line up with my personal faith, BUT, there are plenty of benefits of yoga that I really appreciate. I particularly LOVE hot yoga and buti yoga. The hot yoga classes I attend are more strengthening ones (I’m sore every time!) because I love a good work out, but it’s so quiet and relaxing inside that warm room, there’s no noise (except some deep heavy breathing, haha), no judgement and no expectations, we stretch and strengthen and I always leave feeling AMAZING (and really freaking hot!) Buti Yoga is more intense and fast paced, lots of movement, loud music and cardio, but it also has yoga stretches and it’s just such an amazing work out. I leave my baggage at the door, turn up the volume and just dance, it’s seriously amazing and every woman should try it.
- Love yourself– Haha, I know this sounds weird but really, do you love yourself? Are there 5 things you can find about yourself that you love? Sure maybe we can find 1 or even 3 things, but can you name 5 or 10? We are so busy loving other people and making sure our husbands and kids are feeling loved, how much time do we spend loving and nurturing ourselves? Getting a Starbucks a few times a week or getting our hair done is a start, saving money for a monthly or even bi monthly massage will drastically make you feel better and well rested, but it’s also so powerful telling ourselves positive things, whether it’s our body or creativity, work ethic or devotion to our families. I challenge you to talk to yourself and name 5 things you love about yourself, just try it! 🙂
I would love to hear feedback from you guys on what you do for rest. I’d also love to hear what you’d like to read or learn more of on my blog, whether it’s more fashion, beauty or Sunday Seven talk, let me know!
Happy Sunday loves!