With Valentines Day right around the corner, and it being my FAVORITE holiday, lets talk about love. This may sound a little cheesy… Ok, A LOT cheesy, but I think it would be a fun idea to write a love quote down and stick it on Matts bathroom mirror! We did something like this a couple of years ago, but instead of quotes we wrote down something we love about each other. We did this everyday for quite a while and we both saved all of them, it was so special!
I’ve always been inspired by quotes, I’m sure I will write at least a few more posts about some of my favorite ones, but today I thought it would be so much fun to post quotes all about love. Here are some special ones I’ve found along the way!
- “Love is friendship that has caught fire. It is quiet understanding, mutual confidence, sharing and forgiving. It is loyalty through good and bad times. It settles for less than perfection and makes allowances for human weaknesses.” – Ann Landers I fell in love with this one because it’s so raw. So often we have unrealistic expectations of our spouse and/or relationship, and this is a simple reminder that love isn’t about perfection!
- “Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.”- Mother Teresa I just love her. I love her quotes, her words of wisdom. This one gets me to the core. If we really think about it, how much better would this world be with more love? I know there will always be violence, war and hatred as long as we’re here on earth, we live in a fallen world where the enemy is constantly at work to ‘steal, kill and destroy’ (John 10:10), but if we could focus on love more than anger, we would be so much better off! This is a quote I want to focus on and teach my children, so they can teach there’s and on and on for generations to come.
- “Love is the crowning grace of humanity, the holiest right of the soul, the golden link which binds us to duty and truth, the redeeming principle that chiefly reconciles the heart to life, and is prophetic of eternal good.” – Petrarch Hmmmm… I really wish I wrote this, it’s spot on TRUTH.
- “The course of true love never did run smooth”- William Shakespeare I don’t know about you, but this is pretty accurate for me! I know this isn’t everyones truth, but for myself and several people I know, it is. It took me a few relationships and big time mess ups to finally be ready to accept real love into my heart and my life. I believe true love started when I asked Jesus into my life, but my worldly relationship ‘true’ love started with Matt, and that course was NOT smooth. As a matter of fact, my course to finally handing my life over to the Lord wasn’t smooth either haha! And the course to my true love with my children wasn’t smooth either! Birth pains, deep painful emotion I had when my baby would cry, even the anxiety and worry I experienced being pregnant. Clearly the course to all of my ‘true loves’ wasn’t easy. Except for shoes, my true love for shoes is a pretty smooth ride, as long as I can afford them! 😉
- “I love that feeling of being in love, the effect of having butterflies when you wake up in the morning. That is special”- Jennifer Aniston Don’t we all crave that?! That feeling of new love, that new excitement and chills? I know those butterflies wear off with time, but let’s never forget those special feelings we had when we first knew we were in love.
- Love is a force more formidable than any other. It is invisible – it cannot be seen or measured, yet it is powerful enough to transform you in a moment, and offer you more joy than any material possession could”- Barbara de Angelis THIS IS PERFECT.
- “..love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you” – Jesus (Luke 6:27-28 NASB) This is a tough one to swallow, let’s admit it. It’s not easy to love the people who hate us or who we dislike, but we’re called to do it. What if we turned that anger and hatred for them into love or even prayers? Jesus tells us to pray for them and I find that much easier than to say ‘I love you’ or to even make myself feel that emotion! I can’t say that I ‘hate’ anyone, but there have been some people in my life that I truly dislike, and I know there are some who really don’t like me, it’s just the facts of life right? So to be totally honest and open, sometimes I see someone around town that I know really dislikes me and I don’t care much for them (oh the joys of living in a small town), but I never give them a dirty look or go out my way to be rude. I don’t have time for that and if I allow myself to feel that anger or hurt towards that person, all it does is make me feel worse for the rest of the day. Anger and jealously rot the soul and it’s not worth our time!
I’m sure some of you have read or heard some of these quotes before, but what great reminders of how special and powerful the gift of love is. I hope this week we can all focus on giving more love to the people around us, strangers we run into, and new friendships we form.
Feel free to share some of you favorite love quotes with us!