Another first day of school in the books! I’m relieved and dying all at the same time. Last week I had all of the kids home and can I just tell you it felt like the LONGEST week of my entire life. I know that probably sounds bad but I can’t be the only mom in the world who loves those times but also really dislikes them right?! This week has been a whirlwind and it’s only freaking Tuesday! So far my high schooler doesn’t care for high school and wants to quit his day job (high school), EllaBleu is ready to be in high school and has only had one day of 8th grade, and how in the world did I miss the fact Austin needed a $125 freakin calculator YESTERDAY?!! What the heck is happening? Also, lets talk about the fact Hudson is going to be 4 on Friday (and it’s not ok), I have a high schooler, middle schooler, one in elementary school and one in pre-school….needless to say all of the wine in the world could not help me with this! (But if you want to send some shoot me an email and I’ll send you my address 😉 )
The long list of school supplies keeps growing and now that one of my kids is out of uniforms, the cost of goods is increasing by the second. As we were shopping for back to school stuff last week (and barely found anything that we needed) I realized I could make this experience a whole lot more enjoyable for us all just by changing things up a little. So here is what I’ve found to be helpful:
- Stop and take a deep breath. Before you do anything, buy anything or go anywhere, take a few moments and just quiet your brain. Walk away from the madness and take a deep breath.
- Take one child at a time and make it a date! If you start early enough (I’m not always good at this) you can plan to take one child at a time to shop for their school stuff. Turn it into a date, maybe grab lunch or a snack afterward (my kids love treats form Starbucks or Baskin Robbins) and keep the focus on that child for the day. Then maybe later in the week or the next week (depending on how many kids you have) take your other child and do the same. This makes them feel really special
- Don’t shop for clothes AND supplies on the same day! I know we all want to get it ALL out of the way, but this will only wear you out, stress you out and force you drink more wine at the end of the day. Plus, it really wears the kids out too, I know my kids become a little jerk-y if I do too much with them in one day.
- Do your research before the day you go shopping. There are so any coupons and sales around this time of year and even the office supply stores can be your best option to find certain supplies, and they’re even cheaper sometimes!
- Plan ahead. When you do you research on stores and sales, write a list of places you want to go and write a list of things you need… or even better yet, take a picture of the list and/or the supply list from the school so incase you forget it you have the picture right in your phone.
- Treat yourself to a day of rest. In the midst of back to school chaos try and plan a day for yourself, have lunch alone or get a manicure, take some time to pamper yourself.
- Include your husband… say WHAT?! I know it may sounds crazy but maybe ask him to take one of the kids to get their clothes or school supplies, or you three do it together. This could be a great bonding time for him and the kids and it could also help take some of the stress off of you.
I’m not the most organized person in the world but I will be definitely taking some of my own advice on this one. I don’t know about your family, but my kids LOVE back to school shopping, especially for supplies, for some reason it’s like Christmas to them, so try and make it more fun for everyone (easier said than done I know!)
I hope this helps, happy back to school loves!
You can find the notebooks in the picture above along with some super fun planners here or shop the post below 😉
Top » Jeans » Heels » Bralette Even when I'm at my best weight or not feeling bloated ALL.OF.THE.TIME, I still like to wear flowy tops, I mean, anything to hide the food baby....can I get a WITNESS?! If I'm really feeling free and hippie-ish, I'll pair a flowy top with a flowy maxi and I may or may not look like I'm pregnant, but it's ... Continue Reading
On the road again! If you've noticed that I've been little MIA lately, it's because A. I have 4 children, B. I work one day a week (actually not anymore after this week) and C. I'm trying to get our lives together for our up coming RV road trip, yahooooo! Last summer we headed to Colorado and had an absolute BLAST so we're going back! We stayed ... Continue Reading
Top » Denim » Earrings Ahhhh, theres nothing better than walking outside and feeling the warm breeze in my face. I think last summer was the first year I can remember being ready for fall to start, and secretly I think it was because I was just really excited to wear some new fall clothes! Oh, and the fact that all of the nasty summer bugs go ... Continue Reading
I always knew the day would come when my kids would grow up, but I didn’t think I would feel the affects of it this early! Several weeks ago we were touring a high school for my son Austin and it really hit me, my little boy is growing up. The other day my baby girl turned 13 and now I have 2 teenagers in the house…. SAY WHAT?! It seems like ... Continue Reading