Hey guys, it has been such a crazy week! I figured since it is technically still Sunday, it wasn’t too late to post my Sunday Seven… I swear I will get better at this timing thing someday!
Now, let’s talk about cold remedies! While my (step) Grandmother from Puerto Rico was here visiting for Thanksgiving, Matt was feeling a little under the weather and his voice was pretty much non existent. She told me a few ‘old fashioned’ remedies to help us through this flu season and getting him back in action. We found them to be so helpful and I also found a few others that might help beat that cold too.
- Dry out orange peels until they are crispy, boil them in water, add some cinnamon and a few drops of lemon and drink that sucker down… Grandma Carmen swears by this
- When you have a fever, take rubbing alcohol and aloe vera juice, mix it together and rub all over your body. I would test a little bit on your skin first, Grandma Carmen is used to the herbs and plants in Puerto Rico, and they could be a little different here, so make sure there is no irritation before you apply it all over
- Take hot water and add some lemon juice, honey, ginger and cinnamon and drink it as hot as you can. Bundle up and sweat that sucker out
- Mix hot apple cider vinegar, honey and cinnamon
(I think I might rather the lemon juice and I would definitely dilute this one with water)
- Grandpa says a shot of bourbon always did the trick for him (but you can’t give it to your kids!)
- Add some Eucalyptus drops to your shower floor or wash cloth, turn the water on SUPER hot and breath that steam in
- For me, the best way to get a decent nights sleep when I am sick, is to take a night time alka seltzer ‘cold’, turn my humidifier on the highest setting and put it near my bed. I am also a fan of Thera Flu… Or a shot of whiskey…
I hope you found these helpful as well, and I really hope you share some remedies that may have helped you and your family!