So this week I want to talk about SUNDAYS! Go figure right?! I was out of town this weekend so I’m a little late getting started with my Sunday Seven post, and I usually don’t know what I’m going to write about until shortly before I start writing, well this Sunday was NO DIFFERENT! I was down in Scottsdale with my good friend Katie and we were headed to pick up my two older kiddos from their dad and step mom from the Az Archery Club, and my Sunday Seven idea popped right into this blonde head!
Why not write about things to do on Sundays with your family?! I’m a genius I know and you are welcome ;). As I was pondering this idea, I was thinking about what our kids were doing this weekend and what we like to do as a family when we have all of our kids home (we share the older 3 with their other parents most weekends). Here are a few fun ideas and some of our favorite ways to spend time together on Sundays
- Go on a bike ride. We love do this around our neighborhood but there’s also a great trail in town that we love to go to. It’s easy enough for the kids and part of it goes along a beautiful lake and through some really cool boulders.
- Jammies and Netflix… Stay in your pjs and watch movies ALL day?! YES PLEASE! How many of you have done that? I can’t remember the last time we did this but it sounds so amazing right now! I bought our family a really nice, professional style popcorn machine this year for Christmas, so I see a movie day and freshly popped pop corn for breakfast lunch AND dinner in our very near future.
- Go for a motorcycle/quad ride. Whether you have your own, can rent some from a local place, or even borrow some from a friend, this is such a fun way to get some adrenaline out and explore at the same time! Grayson and Matt have been riding forever and this is one way they love to spend quality time together (that’s what they did this weekend). EllaBleu just got a quad for Christmas so she and the boys love to ride around our property, but when we go out as a family, they all just light up. And let me tell you, this is a GREAT release for us all, but especially for the boys. They like loud noises and things that go fast (don’t all males?!), so this is a wonderful way for them to get that adrenaline rush and break a sweat (it can be quite the work out). If this is unrealistic for your family right now, maybe go for a hike in a new spot!
- Try out Archery! Depending on where you live, hopefully there are some archery ranges. I had no clue about them until Austin and EllaBleu told me about the one they go to. They both have bows that they got from their dad, and this is how they like to spend their quality time with him and their sweet step mom. The kids are really into it and it seems like a lot of fun.
- Go fishing.. It may sound routine or ‘cliche’, and even though I get bored out of my FREAKING MIND when we go fishing at the lake, all of the kids LOVE it. I remember when I was a single mom with absolutely no clue on how to raise a boy, Austin would constantly ask me to take him fishing. We would stop and get worms that I couldn’t touch with out gagging, and head to the lake. He was 7 years old and would get those worms on that pole all by himself. We didn’t usually have much luck and would end up skipping rocks, but it was the time together that was so special. There’s also an awesome fish farm in Sedona where you can rent their poles and fish in their ponds. You have to buy what you catch because you can’t throw them back, but it’s so fun and you’re pretty much guaranteed to catch something. I’ve been going to this place since I was a young girl and I still love it! You can find out more about it here.
- Go on a picnic in your backyard! I’m sure there are a lot of families who go on picnics, but I forget about them often. We have a really neat downtown area where we live and there’s an old beautiful courthouse with grass all around it and this is where we love to go. In the summer time there are locusts in the trees everywhere and you can hear them from a mile away. Some people hate the sound but I just LOVE it! It just reminds me of home. Anyway, when you go in your own backyard, it kind of makes you appreciate your home and space even more, and the kids think it’s the best, especially when they’re little. Another fun thing to add to this is camping in your back yard and roasting marshmallows, yummo!
- Head over your local batting cages or even an indoor golf place. I never realized how good Austin was at baseball until we went to the batting cages and he pretty much hit every single ball! Bad mom moment, I can’t believe I didn’t know my own son was that good at baseball until he was like 10! OOPS! There’s also this really cool golf place in Scottsdale called Top Golf. It’s fun for the whole family and they even have a kids zone with interactive video games and pool tables. You can find more information about Top Golf here . Golf is another sport Austin is good at and I had no idea! YIKES! 🙁
One other fun thing to do is check out IKEA… Ya, you might be thinking I’m crazy or weird for even mentioning it, and that’s the last place you want to take your kids because it’s a maze and REALLY hard to get out of, but they love it! All of the small decorated rooms and apartment looks are so fun for them to see and play house in, especially the girls. The fun ideas and possibilities to do with your family are endless, and even going on simple walks together in your neighborhood build lasting memories. I hope you guys have a wonderful week and can try one of these fun activities soon!