Oh what a wonderful year! 2016 brought so much joy, laughter, challenges (good and bad) and it definitely left it’s mark. I’ve officially been blogging for a year, my children are growing before my eyes and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for 2017. Today we’re starting our New Year off right! We’re on the road heading to the beach and I can’t wait to feel the salt in the air (and my hair!) and the smell of the ocean. It’s my calm place. It’s where I have some of my favorite memories as a little girl, and it’s where I’ve made amazing ones with my kids over the years. Matt and I decided that when we retire, we want a home by the beach and a home in the mountains, the best of both worlds right?!….. This year instead of Matt and I buying a bunch of gifts for each other we decided to invest in some Kayaks for our family. We loaded those suckers up along with our bikes and we’re looking forward to some fun family time on the water and riding around. We basically plan our motorhome trips around activities like this. Mostly because we like to eat good food and while we’re in California we always hit Sub Zero Ice Cream and Go Greek Yogurt (which is my absolute FAVORITE), but also because we love to exercise and teaching our kids it’s good to have fun and be healthy at the same time… Ok. now I’m rambling!
Do you have your goals set for the New Year? Ok, I don’t either, I’m actually coming up with some them right now as I type! I’m not much of a resolution gal, I’ve tried in the past and FAIL every.single.time. So I like the word goals WAY better than resolutions. I feel like goals can be met with time where as resolutions for some reason I feel like need to be conquered right away. Whether or not that’s the case, I don’t know, I’m sure everyone looks at it different.
Some of my goals for 2017 so far include:
- Eating healthier. This is my goal every single Monday (and really everyday, but I try to start over on Mondays), and by Tuesday, or mid morning Monday, I’ve already crashed and burned!
- Spend more quality time with my kids. As they’ve gotten older, the night time routine of laying down with them has dwindled, and lets face it, these teenage years are some of the most important (and most challenging) times in their lives, and I want to hear all about it. They tend to open up to me when I lay down with them in their beds.
- Become more social and interactive with other bloggers. I feel like I use to be really outgoing but as I’ve gotten older, I’ve really started to curl up in my own world and haven’t put myself out there to meet new people as much as I would like. I love love love the world of blogging and never in a million years thought I would do it, ‘who has time for that?!’. I don’t have a lot of it, but when I sit down and write or read other blogs, I just fall in love. It’s therapeutic in a way and it’s so nice to connect with other woman, not to mention find that I’m not alone in this crazy world of parenting and life in general.
- Cook more! Before I started my blog, I cooked a lot more creative meals than I do now. I’m back tot he basics of taco Tuesdays, spaghetti and grilled chicken and broccoli. BORING!
- Read more books to Hudson. I’m so not the mom who sits and reads to her kids everyday, I wish I was, but I’m not. I forget to brush Hudsons teeth half the time and I have a reminder in my phone to read a book to him…. and I still forget. #momfail
- More date nights with my hubby. Putting time and energy into my marriage is the best thing I could do for us and our kids. It helps Matt and I connect and stay on the same page, and it also teaches our kids that investing in their marriage is one of the most rewarding and important things they can do.
- LOVE MORE! I just got my personalized “In God We Trust” license plate that says “JSTLUV”, I know it probably sounds cheesy (according to my daughter), but it’s really one of my main focuses and constant reminder to just love. Again, as I’ve gotten older (and hopefully a little wiser) and stronger in my faith, I’ve come to realize that what people need more than anything is to know they’re loved. I cannot even begin to have the ability to love like Christ, but I can try. I’m guilty of being a hypocrite, I’ve gossiped and still get caught in that trap sometimes, I cuss (seriously, sometimes it just really helps get the point across!), I have dumb thoughts and do really dumb things that I always regret and usually learn from (maybe not right away, but eventually), and I sin. We all do. But no matter how much I screw up, I know that God still loves me, and knowing that makes me try even harder to fix my wrongs. And no matter what, I still fall short, I always will. God’s love doesn’t excuse my sin, but it gives me strength to over come it. My goal isn’t to be perfect, but to keep trying to be the good in the world. When I act on love and not anger, frustration or hurt, I walk more humbly and approach things so much differently. Have you tried that? It’s really freakin hard! And that’s why it’s a goal, probably a life long goal haha! I know I won’t get there overnight, and I will never be able to always walk into every single situation with love, but I’m trying. This is my main and most important goal, not just for 2017, but really for life.
Another small goal that I didn’t feel like was worth numbering is shopping less….. HAHA! I know it sounds like a joke, but being content with what I have and being creative with what I have in my closet is definitely another goal of mine. Who’s with me?!
Do you have any specific or special goals for 2017? If so, please share, I’d love to hear them!
Happy 2017 ya’ll! 😉
You can shop my look below. My top is sold out at Target so I posted a similar one 😉