Since Thanksgiving is a few days away, I felt that it was obviously fitting to write about Thankfulness this Sunday. Matt and I worked on this together and he gave me some good points…. He said at times when it might be difficult to come up with things he’s grateful for, he thinks about how he would feel if certain things might be taken away or lost. For example: He said when he and I are not getting along, it’s hard for him to be grateful for me at that exact moment. But when he thinks of losing me some how, it brings him back to that place of gratitude. This really made me think…. He better NEVER be ungrateful for me! What the heck is he talking about?! 😉
As I sat here with a sore throat and body aches (tis the season), I found that I wasn’t focused on being grateful at all! But I continued to think about it, and a lot of what I was coming up with were material things. And trust me, narrowing it down to 7 is seriously almost IMPOSSIBLE!!! It really bothers me that some of the things I’m really thankful for won’t be in eternity!
Partly because I love them and I think I might miss them even though I won’t, but mostly because it just feels so VAIN! Do you guys struggle with this?
Well, I guess it’s time for total transparency, here are the top things Matt, the kids and I are thankful for this Thanksgiving.
- God, Jesus, Holy Spirit (because technically they are one)
- My husband (could be number one but he is not God), children, family (especially the fact my sister lives in the same neighborhood), friends and dogs (this all counts as 1 right?)
- That I get to live in a country where I can freely worship God
- The opportunity that my children get to learn about God EVERYDAY at school
- Makeup, hair products and fashion, duh!
- HOT WATER!
- Flowers, I LOVE flowers!
- Our marriage
- Our children and their caring and sensitive personalities
- Health, Matt has been reminded lately that a serious health issue can stop life in it’s tracks
- Our home and its amenities (aka his tractor)
- His career that he loves and the great business partners we have been blessed with
- That his parents are still alive and we have a large extended family who live close by
- The school where our children attend and the fact that their principle leads the praise and worship during their Chapel class!
Ok, Matt’s totally sounds better than mine but that’s ok, that’s why I married him, he always thinks about the really important stuff!
- Video Games
- Video games
- Cheeseburgers (that’s my girl!)
- Her brothers
- Video games
- Chicken nuggets and apple juice
- Molly and Louie (our dogs) to torture
- Kitchen cabinets to break into and counter tops to climb on
- Daddy’s tractor and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
I love the fact that our kids all said God first. Well the ones who can talk did… But what a statement! And I also realize that video games might be there first choice and they are just really smart enough not to say it. I just love their hearts and listening to what they are thankful for is priceless!
As I was thinking about thankfulness, I just kept coming back to the people in my life. I always think it’s obvious to them that I am thankful for them, but then I realized that I don’t tell them nearly enough. So this Thanksgiving, I encourage all of us to tell the people in our lives how grateful we are to have them…. Even if it’s hard or uncomfortable, God put them in our lives for a reason and it’s our duty to love and appreciate them. I hope you share what you and your family are thankful for this Thanksgiving!